Glenna Johnston is the winner!
John Wells is the answer for Week 181 of Orofino History Trivia a special feature to celebrate the history and heritage of Clearwater Country.
Join in the discovery!
Thursday: Buried at Sanders Cemetery
John Wells, for whom Wells Bench is named, was born Dec. 23, 1849, in British Columbia, Canada and spent his early years there, according to his obituary in the Jan. 11, 1929 issue of the Clearwater Tribune housed at the Clearwater Historical Museum.
In the 1890s, he moved to Walla Walla, WA and from there to the Potlatch country where he stayed for a few years before coming to Pierce to prospect for gold. He then settled on Whiskey Creek at what was later known as the Weseman place before the Nez Perce Indian Reservation was opened up. In 1896, he homesteaded a place on what is now Wells Bench.
During those years he was known as one of the leading stockman of the county. In 1907, he and William Palmer established the Palace Meat Market in Orofino. They operated the business until 1910. In his latter years, he moved back to Wells Bench on land purchased from the state and lived there until he died Jan. 1, 1929.
He was married to Mrs. Lily Ann Richardson, June 27, 1908 and she survived him, along with a sister and a nephew. He is buried in Sanders Cemetery. After Lily died, she was also buried in Sanders Cemetery.
|Window on the Clearwater
P.O. Box 2444
Orofino, ID 83544