Orofino,Idaho-Window on the Clearwater
Traditional news Today's technology

Early morning fire destroys residence near Konkolville

An early morning fire destroyed a residence at 2525 Michigan Ave., near Konkolville.

According to Orofino Fire Chief Mike Lee the fire was accidental and caused by a candle. The renters living in the residence were able to get out without injury.

This home at 2525 Michigan Ave. was destroyed by an early morning blaze of accidental cause. No one was injured.

Lee said the hardest part of fighting the fire was the double roof and all the little nooks and crannies. The structure is unsafe for fire fighters to go inside and search out the areas fire may smolder, so they have been using a 'surround and drown' method to put it out and follow up on any rekindling.

This is the second house fire in the last few weeks with an accidental cause; the other was a log home under construction above Greer. House fires are unusual in the summer and Lee advised people to be more careful.

In addition to OFD, Sunnyside Rural Fire District and Upper Fords Rural Fire District helped with initial attack on the blaze. Clearwater County Sheriff's Office, Orofino Police Department, Clearwater County Ambulance Service and Idaho Department of Fish and Game also assisted.

A fire fighter on top of the truck at left shoots water into the structure after the fire rekindled about 10:30 a.m. Monday. The double roof and nooks and crannies, as well as the structure being unsafe to enter made fighting the fire a challenge.

Window on the Clearwater
P.O. Box 2444
Orofino, ID 83544
Phone: (208) 476-0733
Fax: (208) 476-4140
Email